Thursday, May 17, 2007

Perspective

We’ve all heard the expression “glass half empty or glass half full” when trying to determine whether one is an optimist or pessimist. Honestly I think everyone is a little of both. We have our good days and our bad days. Isn’t it funny how you can hear news that gives you just a little bit of hope and your whole day turns around? For example, you’ve been trying to sell your house for months and you hear that someone looked at it today. In that instant your spirits pick up a bit and all seems to be right with the world. But the reverse is true as well. Everything is normal and then someone hacks into your bank account online and wipes you out. Your heart sinks and you think all is lost. In both cases not much has really changed. The person looking at the house is just looking and the wonderful people at the bank (did you sense the sarcasm there?) put all of the money back in 7-10 business days.

The only thing that changes many times is our perspective. Ultimately we can always look for silver linings in things and we can always find ways in which the grass would be greener on the other side. However, I think at the end of the day we have to realize what kind of perspective we have. It is helpful (though not always easy) to keep some semblance of an eternal perspective. In the end I won’t really care how many months it took my house to sell, how much interest I paid on debt that I owed, how many hours I sat in traffic coming home from work, or how many games the Rangers lost in 2007 (my prediction is 93). What will matter to me is did I love with fervor? Did I enjoy the unique moments in life that God gave me and did I do my best to honor him with them? And did I live my life with intentionality and passion? Because in the end this life is just blip on the radar screen of eternity. Hard to fully comprehend, but true nonetheless.

3 comments:

Coryslave said...

So true, my friend.

Eternal perspective also helps us spend life more wisely (keeping diversions diversionary, rather than thinking they're substantive or letting them become obsessions, for example).

Thanks for bettering our perspective.

Anonymous said...

Yet again, I find myself reading your blog just after having a conversation dealing with the same subject. I think it's happened twice now. Funny how God puts things together like that, huh? I believe you are on the right track here - we often allow ourselves to get so flustered and wigged out about things that truly aren't all that important. It's a lesson to learn, to keep a "bigger picture" mentality, and stay in the light of His love.
Beth

Anonymous said...

I actually thought about your blog when I was at football practice today. We had a noon practice and I didn't have much time to eat beforehand so I was starving as practice was winding down. Actually I was borderline angry and I could tell my frustrations were getting the better of me. Then one coach said, "Hey, let's all get all-you-can-eat Chinese after practice." My spirits immediately picked up, and I was able to finish strong. It's all about perspective.