Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Correct Label?

There are many labels that people attach to themselves, but it can be difficult to ascertain whether these labels are correct. Words must continually be defined and redefined. There are many that label themselves as Christians, but you and I both know that not everyone who claims to be a Christ follower knows him. The same is true of those who label themselves as your friend. Today it seems that if you aren’t my enemy then you by default are my friend. However, I feel as though we need to give the word friend a better definition.

Friends can have discussions about more than just the latest (insert your favorite sport here) score or the latest episode of (insert your favorite TV show here) they watched last night. Friends can ask difficult questions and get honest answers. Friends continue to keep in contact with you even after you leave a church, job or any other place of common attendance. Friends are there to rebuke as well as encourage. Friends don’t mind going out of their way for you. Friends don’t hide behind masks. Friends drop everything when they are needed. Friends see your blind spots. Friends remember special occasions. Friends make up for the areas we are weak in. Friends are reliable. Friends aren’t shallow. Friends are there for times of laughter and times of sorrow, and they can pick up on both without a word being said. Friends are friends forever (ok that was meant to be a crack at the Michael W. Smith song, but it’s still true).

Ultimately “A friend loves at all times” and “No one has greater love than this – that one lays down his life for his friends.”

How many of our friendships really look like this?

6 comments:

Coryslave said...

Awesome blog, Skip. May I add that friends...

... don't have an agenda in your life. Just a desire for your best.

... will sometimes hurt you. But you'll forgive one another.

... post a response when you blog. (BTW, this is the real test of friendship ;o)

Anonymous said...

OK, so are you trying to make me feel guilty for ditching you Friday night?

I think your thoughts on friendship are very accurate, and I am challenged to become a better friend to people. I know when I'm not a good friend it is because I am thinking about myself too much (which is a lifetime struggle I'm sure).

Anonymous said...

by the way, I guess I better head over to Cory's blog and post something so I can still be his friend.

cory, isn't a "desire for one's best" an agenda for their life? just thinking that I probably reason I'm desiring the best for my friends many times but it may not be the true best b/c of my fallible understanding, and therefore it's my agenda. not trying to be picky, just examining my own motives in friendship.

Perez Family said...

Great new blog! We're so glad that we are able to truly call you & Kate our friends!

Coryslave said...

Response to JAy,

"Agenda" to me has an element of control (sometimes even manipulation) to it — exerting one's will/goals in someone else's life. Leaders do this a lot.

Perhaps I should've qualified it as "selfless desire" — a "not my will, but God's & yours be done" in your life attitude/action.

Don't see this kind of prayerful sensitivity & availability to others near as much as control or apathy (both of which are selfish, not others-centered). And that indictment, of course, includes me.

Anonymous said...

amen cory. I sometimes forget about the apathy part being selfish.