Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Heroes

Yes, "Heroes" is an incredibly creative television show surpassed only by the greatness that is "Lost". But it is not the subject of this posting. Webster defines a hero as...

'a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.'


Listed below are the men in my life who I consider my heroes. They inspire me and show me little glimpses of Christ.

In no particular order and by no means meant to be a way to paint a complete picture of who any of these men truly are.

Aaron McClung: My hero because he is a man of deep conviction, but also a man of proper action. He strives for excellence in all that he touches. One of the few men that I would say I agree with on matters of ministry without even knowing the topic.

Cory Kuhn: My hero because he defines both the words teacher and teachable. He is a guardian of truth and love who is never afraid to ask the hards questions, but only because he cares that much.

David Souders: My hero because he is truly compassionate and you never walk away from a conversation and feel that he doesn't care. Dave is also the definition of a servant.

Jay Mendenhall: My hero because it seems that he possesses all of the fruit of the Spirit at any given time. Jay is probably the best listener that you will ever meet and dishes out some pretty wise counsel too. Jay also made it possible for me to see my first glimpse of heaven on earth, or more commonly referred to as Wrigley Field.

Lanny O'Steen: My hero because of his zeal and passion for the lost. Lanny loves life and has an energy that is truly contagious. He's my hand twin and my wife thinks he runs really fast.

Matt Stewart: My hero because he is a true friend. Watch the Lord of the Rings movies and pay attention to the character of Samwise, or read about Jonathan in 1 Samuel and you will begin to get a glimpse of who Matt is. Matt was the first friend that showed up to the hospital the day my dad passed away. And on a lighter note he's a fellow super nerd and my wingman.

Travis Womack: My hero because he risks his life every day for the freedom of this country. And I've seen few people that are as hospitable as he is.

Mason Pounds: My hero because he's a motivator to those around him. And there are few times that Mason can't lift anyone's spirits with his crazy brand of humor.

Jimmy Perez: My hero because he does whatever it takes to see that his family and friends are taken care of. There is no one who I'd rather endure another category 4 hurricane with. Jimmy is also a Spurs fan, but I don't hold that against him.

Shea Sumlin: My hero because he helped me define what life is all about. Shea has a passion for ministry and discipleship that is rarely matched.

John Bryson: My hero because he is one of the greatest leaders and visionaries I've been around. And for sure one of the most humble leaders I've seen.

Tom Ferrell: My hero because he defines grace. You never walk away from Tom's presence and not feel that you were a little closer to Christ in the process.

Printess Baker(PawPa): My hero because he is a constant encourager and teacher. And it seems that he can fix anything.

J.W. Titsworth(Grandpa): My hero because he defines diligence and strength through restraint. He also instilled in me a love of reading.

Patrick Titsworth: My hero of heroes for more reasons than I can write.

2 comments:

Coryslave said...

Very cool post. Honored to make your list, but anything good in me is w/o doubt b/c of Christ (just ask someone who knew me B.C.) Maybe that's one of your subtle points — that Christ manifests Himself in each of us differently. Kinda wish I was a hand twin, though ...

So how did you post this today, but somehow have it say it posted June 5? Do you have time travel powers? (Next blog: Is Skip secretly a Super Hiro?)

UdaMan
- Cor

Anonymous said...

Yo Skip. Thanks for the encouragement brother. Though anyone gets a little uncomfortable reading nice things about themselves, it serves as an encouragement when God has used parts of our broken lives to affect others. I'm sure everyone on your hero list counts you as among their heroes as well. Thanks for the great friendship you've fostered while we've lived here.

Jay