Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jesus and the Joker

First of all if you haven’t seen The Dark Knight yet, stop reading this blog and go buy a movie ticket.  Once you’ve done that you’ll begin to understand a little of what this little rambling is all about.  

A couple of weeks ago Kate and I engaged in one of our favorite pastimes - seeing summer blockbusters.  We sat in a darkened room with 250 of our closest strangers and  watched an incredible performance.  Sure the movie as a whole was great, but if you’ve paid any attention to the entertainment media you will know that Heath Ledger stole the show.  The late actor played the part of the Joker like no one before has.  Everything about the role was classic.  The mannerisms and voice were something that I think deserve an Oscar nod.  

So why do I bring all of this up?  Well on the way home Kate and I were discussing how amazing Heath was in the movie and how it was sad that the world would never again get to see him don the sadistic smile of Batman’s arch enemy or any other role for that matter.  And then we started talking about how there’s a good chance that Heath will spend an eternity in darkness.  I honestly have no idea if he knew Christ or what he believed, I’m just assuming that he wasn’t a Christian.  However, deciding what to label Mr. Ledger isn’t the point of this blog.  

What convicted us the most was the fact that we were genuinely disappointed that Heath was gone, and how it would be sad to know that he might spend an eternity apart from God.  He seemed like he’d be a cool guy to hang out with.  But... here’s the kick in the teeth conviction part... how often do we not even think about the people we really know, like co-workers and friends who don’t know Christ.  They too will spend forever without true life and peace.  I mean I actually uttered the words, “It’s too bad someone didn’t share the gospel with him.”  (Now maybe they did, or maybe he really did know God and just wasn’t public about it.... again another blog for another day).  

So why, why, why.... does it not enter my mind more on a daily basis that the people I spend half of my life with at work might not know the Savior?  Why am I so calloused to not ask deep life changing questions? Why am I content to become part of the status quo and just have water cooler conversations?

After all eternity is no joking matter.

1 comment:

Misty said...

hey Skip! i did not know you had "another" blog...otherwise i would be checking it daily along w/the others! I totally agree with you here Skip. i too am wayyyy guilty of not sharing Christ or being bold enough about asking friends/family! and while on the subject, does it seem hardest to anyone else to ask family members these questions? the people we should love and care for the "most" seems to me the hardest to come out and ask if they know Jesus. Thanks for the encouraging challenge today to be bold and "not ashamed of the gospel".