Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Football, Fractions, & Fatherhood

It has been a long time since I’ve written something for this blog. Due in part to the topic of this blog. For those that don’t know I became a teacher and coach at a middle school in west Fort Worth this past August. It has been four months of what can be best described as controlled chaos. I can definitely say that I have learned my share of lessons good and bad.

The most important thing that I’ve learned, however is the importance of fatherhood. When I’ve had a few seconds to reflect (which is amazing in and of itself if you know what its like to be a coach and teach 7th grade math) I keep coming back to the issue of fatherhood. I knew coming into teaching that I wanted to try and make a difference on a more personal level, but I wasn’t quite prepared for what I was walking into. Here are just a few comments that have occurred in my classroom or on the field this fall.

I’ve changed the names because I’m sure that’s some legal something that I’m supposed to do.

(If I ever get bored I’ll rail on the things that I think are stupid within our system)

- "Coach, which is farther away, Corsicana or Kansas? Because I think that Timmy doesn’t have to drive as far to see his dad in prison."


When asked to share something good that’s happened in their lives one girl in my class asked if she could instead share one of the worst moments in her life…

-"When I was seven my dad was drunk and hit me behind the ear with a broken beer bottle and now every year I have to get surgery to remove a tumor that keeps coming back."

- "Guess what Coach?! Tonight I get to go out to eat and meet my real dad. My mom just found out who my real dad about a month ago." This young lady is 12.

There are many more conversations and comments that keep telling the same story. There is a fatherhood crisis out there. I’d be shocked if more than 75% of my students lived with both their mom and biological dad. This is not news to many I know, but it blows me away how any father could abandon, abuse or neglect his own child. The life of a middle school coach is filled with long hours and little compensation. There are many nights (especially during football season) where all I want to do is go home and be lazy. I don’t want to be bothered and there’s not a bone in my body that’s unselfish. BUT I love my wife and my daughter and I know how important I am in their lives. Seeing my students and the situations they have to live in breaks my heart, but it also drives me to be a better father.

I’m thankful that I’ve been given the awesome privilege and responsibility of raising my daughter, humbled that hopefully I can impact even a few kids who don’t even know what a dad is for, and so incredibly grateful that I had such an awesome dad that was always there for any and everything that happened in my life. (And yes that last sentence was probably a run-on, but I’m a math teacher. If you want to talk about integers and improper fractions, bring it on!)

3 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Skip, you still write well, especially for a math major!! I am so proud of you and I know you are making an impact on students. I so enjoyed reading your observations and thoughts about your students. Teaching is not easy--especially if you want to be a GOOD teacher, but it does seem you are working hard at it. And remember that you are teaching them more than math! I know they are lucky students to have you. My best to you and your family.
As always,
Mrs. H

Coryslave said...

Thanks for the blog, Skip. Your observations are dead on target. Most of the "battle" spirirually, morally, whatever, is won/lost in the home. The father's role (as well as the mother's) is vital and irreplacable.

Great to know a godly guy like you is out there ministering to kids such as these.

Hal said...

Hey Skip...

I enjoyed the comments you shared from some of your young students. By the way, I see a lot of these kinds of kids every week. The only thing is that they have grown up. I see them in prison. Maybe these are some of the parents of some of the kids you mention. You have a great opportunity to make a lasting influence on them. I pray God will use you in their lives.