Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ingrate

I am amazed at how often I forget how blessed I am. I tend to see that the grass is greener on the other side. But I fail to realize that the simple fact that I can see the grass should be reason enough to be thankful.

It’s ridiculous how much God has given me. I was able to wake up this morning. I could take a shower with hot water. Then I could pick from a variety of clothes to wear. I was able to get into a car and drive myself to work. Along the way I had the power to choose what I listened to. If I didn’t like the radio stations, I could just pop in one of the 8 CDs I had in my car. And those were just the ones IN my car. Then I show up and I walk into an air-conditioned building where I will sit in a comfortable desk chair for most of the day. And ultimately I had the choice to take this job in the first place. No one forced me to do it. Then after a few hours I also have the ability to go to lunch to a place of my choosing. I can do this because I’ve also been given the ability to make money and with that money I can trade it for food. And not only food, but food that I enjoy. No small bowl of rice that many AIDS victims in Africa would love to have. Instead a meal complete with hamburger, fries and a Dr. Pepper.

Then I remember that I have friends and family that love me. Friends plural. And functional family. After a day of nowhere near exhausting physically labor I get to hop in my fully functional car and drive home to my beautiful wife and adorable baby girl. (Seriously. Have you looked at my other blog???) I’m sure that Kate and I will have another meal that has been provided for us. I don’t have to worry where my next meal is coming from, the only thing I have to worry about is whether or not it’ll have onions in it. We’ll sit back and chill by talking about our day, and then maybe take a walk on our healthy legs, and laugh at the new things that our healthy daughter can do. Finally, at the end of the night I’ll get to lay my head on a soft pillow and sleep on a nice mattress. No sleeping on the hard ground out in the cold for me. And I can sleep soundly knowing that my family lives in a good neighborhood and the doors are locked.

At last but certainly not least, I rest with the assurance that I’m in Christ’s hand and that He holds my tomorrow. Whether I wake up or not I’m His, and He is mine.

But somehow I still tend to focus on the grass on the other side. Failing to realize that God has granted me some of the greenest pastures in the world. I’m such an ingrate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only we could all look at life with this perspective. We often get so caught up in the race of keeping up with others, having the best of what's out there to have, that we lose sight of the bigger picture. The other day it was pointed out to me that our family is "richer" than 95% of the population of the United States. When you add the whole world to that percentage, I'm sure the number increases. The U.S. has a lot less people standing in line for that daily bowl of rice.
I just finished my daily Bible study on the subject of Mary and Martha - focusing on the "good" and missing the "best". What a treat to come read your blog and see the connection.
You are way ahead of the "mind" game than I was in my late 20's. I'm proud of you!
I love you!
Beth..........THE Aunt